Are you stuck in the system also?

RaginRanger will respond to any comment--on any post--asking for help on your situation.
This blog "moderates" posts, meaning that your post will NOT be posted publicly if you request that your question remain private.

I am not a lawyer, but I have been in this fight long enough to at least point you to help in most cases. I'll help write a Memorandum For Record and/or the Commander if needed. Sometimes just getting a new perspective from someone who's been there, but doesn't have personal ties to
you, can make things more clear.

The most important thing is for those of us who have made it through, to be here for those still fighting through ~

02 March 2007

WRAMC ain't the first

In September, 2004 I left the 101st Airborne Division and became a MEDDAC soldier in the Medical Hold Company. I was awaiting separation from the Army because of injuries I received while deployed. My wife was also having serious medical problems (BUT THAT'S AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STORY).
When I came over to the Ft. Campbell Hospital, Blanchfield Army Community Hospital (BACH) I was offered a company command. The Troop Commander, a Major, was an energetic and compassionate leader - I had a great deal of respect for her and wanted to accept the job. Especially after she discussed what my duties and responsibilities would entail:
The Medical Hold barracks were horrible. Much like the ones at WRAMC now featured all over the news they were full of mold, mildew, asbestos, and deteriorating construction - holes in walls, broken window frames - these were not suitable for soldiers. There was no handicap access and no elevators - and, like at WRAMC, these soldiers were severely disabled I walked through these barracks and wanted to help get them fixed.

The Troop Commander had been working on getting these fixed since they had taken command but to no avail.
I did not accept the company command - my wife's health had deteriorated too much. If I took command I would either abandon her, or be in a position where I could let soldiers down - I was not willing to accept either of these outcomes. I helped with the company in a limited capacity and took care of my wife.
The soldier's barracks situation improved before my wife was granted access to the care she needed in order to heal.

When we requested work orders on these dilapidated buildings the housing office would explain that because the barracks were so old, and marked for destruction, funding could not be approved to renovate or otherwise fix the problems. New construction on-post had priority over old construction - understandable - but it didn't address the current housing problems.

Eventually, after many false starts, the Troop Commander found ways to correct the problem as much as possible. She found ways to get repair work done. Some soldiers moved to a hotel off-post. The soldiers got moved to a better building almost a year later. But better than what? What is considered acceptable? They just moved to a somewhat better building. It's still old and falling apart and won't get renovated, either.

AND I KNOW SHE BROUGHT THESES PROBLEMS HIGH UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.
She did her job but found little support from above.

But Ft. Campbell is getting a new command center - it looks nice, IT's HUGE!! Lot's of money going into that development.

The Army is about people, soldiers, not about machinery or equipment. What good will that equipment be if there are no more soldiers left to use it?

No comments:

My Blogger Panel